“Just a few of the perfect excuses for having some strawberry shortcake.
(1) It’s less calories than two pieces of strawberry shortcake.
(2) It’s cheaper than going to France.
(3) It neutralizes the brownies I had yesterday.
(4) Life is short.
(5) It’s somebody’s birthday. I don’t want them to celebrate alone.
(6) It matches my eyes.
(7) Whoever said, “Let them eat cake.” must have been talking to me.
(8) To punish myself for eating dessert yesterday.
(9) Compensation for all the time I spend in the shower not eating.
(10) Strawberry shortcake is evil. I must help rid the world of it.
(11) I’m getting weak from eating all that healthy stuff.
(12) It’s the second anniversary of the night I ate plain broccoli.”
This is a random anonymous quote that I found on line about Strawberry Shortcake.
Rye Shortcakes with Roasted Strawberries and Rhubarb
Rhubarb is one of those wonderful things that grow in the spring of the year. The brilliant red stalks have just begun to appear at farmers’ markets. Notice that I referred to rhubarb as a thing. Do you think rhubarb is a fruit or a vegetable? Well, it is considered a vegetable in most parts of the world; however, in 1947 a New York court ruled that rhubarb was to be considered a fruit for duties and tariffs. Interesting!!
Strawberries will be at their peak in New York state during the month of June. For this recipe, the berries came from California, and since they were not at the peak of flavor roasting them was a great option.
This recipe came from Food 52 so the unique flavor combinations were to be expected. The pairing of fruit with the rye shortcakes was delicious.
The strawberries and the rhubarb are cut and placed on a baking sheet. They are flavored with vanilla bean seeds, lemon and orange zest and freshly grated ginger.
They are drizzled with honey and tossed together.
The roasting caramelizes all the sugars and creates a wonderful berry sauce. When the fruit is cooled, it is spooned onto the sliced shortcakes. Whipped cream tops of this fabulous dessert.
For the list of ingredients and the preparation instructions go here.