A Perfect Frosting for Carrot Cake and Spice Cake
- 5 cups sifted confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 16 ounces room temperature cream cheese
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
In a medium sized bowl, mix together the confectioner’s sugar, the cinnamon and the nutmeg.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the cream cheese and the butter. Beat with the paddle attachment, on low speed, for 1 minute. Gradually add the sugar mixture and beat until the frosting is smooth. Stir in the vanilla.
Don’t overbeat the frosting or the butter will soften too much and the frosting will be too soft. If this happens, cover the frosting and let it cool in the refrigerator until it is spreadable.
See Easy Pumpkin Ginger cake for a great pairing.