Homemade meat loaf with a zesty horseradish topping
One winter morning Peter woke up and looked out the window. Snow had fallen during the night. It covered everything as far as he could see. ~ Ezra Jack Keats, The Snowy Day
A week ago, I awoke to the ground covered by snow. It was Sunday and the snow gave me an excuse to stay indoors, build a fire and cook comfort food. For me, meatloaf is one of those foods. Growing up, my grandmother often made meatloaf. She served it with sautéed mushrooms that were a new taste sensation for her grandchildren. I came to look forward to dinners at her house.
My favorite meatloaf is one that has been in my recipe box for over 20 years. It is moist, great as leftovers and gets its zest from a horseradish topping. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
In a large bowl place chopped sirloin (cuts down on unneeded fat), quick cooking oatmeal, diced onion, ketchup, milk, eggs, horseradish, salt and black pepper.
Thoroughly mix all of the ingredients together.
Place the mixture in a baking dish and shape into a loaf.
For the topping, mix together the ketchup, brown sugar, horseradish and a coarse ground Dijon mustard.
Pour half of the topping over the meatloaf. Cook in the oven for 45 minutes.
Pour the remainder of the topping on the meat and finish baking for 15 minutes.
Serve with glazed brussel sprouts.
Zesty Glazed Meat Loaf Recipe
By February 20, 2013Published:
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 60 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 30 mins
Adapted from an unknown source
- 2 pounds ground sirloin
- 3/4 cup quick cooking oats Quaker quick cooking oatmeal
- 1 large diced onion
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup whole or 2% milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- to taste fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup ketchup Topping ingredient
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar Topping ingredient
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish Topping ingredient
- 2 teaspoons coarse ground dijon mustard Topping ingredient
- In a large bowl, mix together the sirloin, oatmeal, diced onion, ketchup, milk,eggs, horseradish, salt and pepper.
- In a baking dish, form the meat mixture into a loaf.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare the topping by combining the last four ingredients listed. Pour half the topping over the meat loaf and cook for 45 minutes.
- Pour the remainder of the topping on after 45 minutes and continue to cook for another 15 minutes.
- Slice and serve.
- Course: Entrées